Saturday, March 10, 2012

An open-ended question: legal responsibility vs moral responsibility

I don't know that there's any one answer to this, but I think it's important to have the conversation.


Which conversation is that? The one about an organization's legal responsibility versus moral responsibility.


My opinion, based on many years as a fan, a convention attendee, a con-runner, and convention guest, is that while a convention may not have a legal responsibility to provide a harassment-free environment for their attendees, I do think they have a moral responsibility to do so--or to at least make a good-faith effort.


I don't expect to be wrapped in a plastic bubble at a convention, safely shielded from any ideas or opinions that may differ from my own.


I don't expect to never be offended. I'm a grown-up, I know how to leave a room, exit a conversation and otherwise remove myself from situations that make me uncomfortable.


What I do expect is to not be harassed.


This should not be an exceptional request. It shouldn't have to be made at all.


I don't want to be treated like a special snowflake. What I would like is equal treatment, regardless of gender, race, or sexual preference.



No comments:

Post a Comment